The mission: Involvement of Hispanic/Latino Youth in the Political Process
- Late Assemblyman Ángelo Del Toro in collaboration with the Office of Bilingual Education created the Institute for high school students of Hispanic/Latino decent.
- The Ángelo Del Toro Puerto Rican/Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute is a collaboration with the NYS Assembly/Senate Puerto Rican/Hispanic Task Force in conjunction with the annual SOMOS conference, Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages, and the New York City Department of Education.
- The Angelo Del Toro takes place every year during the SOMOS conference in Albany.
- The program has been in existence for 30 years.
Goals of the Institute
- Gain an understanding of the NYS legislative process by participating in research and the development of legislative proposals.
- Develop leadership skills.
- Gain an understanding of responsible citizenship.
- Create opportunities for interaction with positive role models such as elected officials and other adult professionals.
- Promote a dialogue between youth and community leaders concerning issues that affect Hispanic/Latino youth and their communities.
Phases of The Angelo Del Toro Puerto Rican Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute
Phase I – Training in regional delegations
Phase II – Institute
- Institute opening
- Keynote speaker
- Team building activities
- Student presentations
- Cultural networking event
- Mock Assembly
- Student Recognition and Scholarship Dinner
- Workshops on different themes
- Visit to legislators by select delegations
- Closure of Institute
Phase III – Extension and refinement of Leadership Skills
Phase IV – Visit to Washington
- Outstanding students of the year for each delegation visit Washington, DC to gain an understanding of the federal government.
Since the inception of the Institute
- Approximately 6,650 students of Hispanic/Latino descent have participated in the Institute – additional students participated in the local delegation trainings.
- In partnership with SOMOS, seniors entering colleges/universities have received over half a million dollars in scholarships.
- 1991-2012 SOMOS awarded 20 scholarships of $500 each, totaling $120,000 during this period.
- 2013 SOMOS awarded 30 scholarships ranging from $500 – $1,000 each, totaling $20,000.
- 2014 SOMOS awarded 38 scholarships ranging from $750 – $1,500 each, totaling $36,000.
- 2015 SOMOS awarded 37 scholarships ranging from $640 – $2,500 each, totaling $37,960.
- 2016 SOMOS awarded 33 scholarships ranging from $720 – $3,000 each, totaling $40,000.
- 2017 SOMOS awarded 31 scholarships ranging from $1,000 – $3,000 each, totaling $40,000.
- 2018 SOMOS awarded 39 scholarships of $550 – $3,000 each, totaling $43,000.
- 2019 SOMOS awarded 30 scholarships of $800 – $3,000 each, totaling $40,000.
- 2020 SOMOS awarded 37 scholarships of $770 – $3,080 each, totaling $50,000.
- 2021 SOMOS awarded 20 scholarships of $500 each, totaling $10,000.
- Note: Grand Total of SOMOS, Inc. Scholarships – $436,960
PR/HYLI transcends from College into our Communities
“I am a senior at Tech Valley High School. PRHYLI has a special place in my heart. I can develop my skills in communication and debate. It is a place for me to connect with students with similar backgrounds and connect with my ancestors/heritage. Every day in PRHYLI, I feel like I am welcomed and supported. Joining PRHYLI was the best decision I could’ve made.”
– Amanda Thrasher, Senior at Tech Valley High, Capital District Delegation
For additional information regarding the Angelo Del Toro Puerto Rican Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute, please contact Dr. Gladys I. Cruz, District Superintendent, Questar III BOCES at firstname.lastname@example.org.