The mission: Involvement of Hispanic/Latino Youth in the Political Process
- Late Assemblyman Angelo Del Toro in collaboration with the Office of Bilingual Education created the Institute for high school students of Hispanic/Latino
- The Angelo Del Toro Puerto Rican/Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute is an innovative collaboration with the NYS Assembly/Senate Puerto Rican/Hispanic Task Force in conjunction with the annual SOMOS conference, Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages, and the New York State City Board of Education.
- The Angelo Del Toro takes place every year during the SOMOS conference in
- The program has been in existence for 29
Goals of the Institute
- Gain an understanding of the NYS legislative process by participation in research and the development of legislative
- Develop leadership
- Gain an understanding of responsible
- Create opportunities for interaction with positive role models such as elected officials and other adult professionals.
- Promote a dialogue between youth and community leaders concerning issues that affect Hispanic/Latino Youth and their communities.
Phases of The Angelo Del Toro Puerto Rican Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute
- Training in regional delegations
- Participation in the 3-day PR/HYLI
- Team-building activities – Saturday
- Mock Assembly – Sunday
- Student Delegate Recognition Dinner (scholarship awards provided by SOMOS)
- Workshops – College, Career Development and other themes as appropriate – Monday
- Extension and refinement of leadership skills – at home base
Since the inception of the Institute
- Approximately 6,450 students of Hispanic/Latino descent have participated in the Institute – additional students participated in the local delegation
- In partnership with SOMOS, seniors entering colleges/universities have received $513,860 in scholarships.
- 1991-2012 SOMOS awarded 20 scholarships of $500 each, totaling $220,000
- 2013 SOMOS awarded 30 scholarships ranging from $500 – $1,000 each, totaling $20,000.
- 2014 SOMOS awarded 38 scholarships ranging from $750 – $1,500 each, totaling $36,000.
- 2015 SOMOS awarded 37 scholarships ranging from $640 – $2,500 each, totaling $37,960.
- 2016 SOMOS awarded 33 scholarships ranging from $720 – $3,000 each, totaling $40,000.
- 2017 SOMOS awarded 31 scholarships ranging from $1,000 – $3,000 each, totaling $40,000.
- 2018 SOMOS awarded 39 scholarships of $550 – $3,000 each, totaling $43,000.
- 2019 SOMOS awarded 30 scholarships of $800 – $3,000 each, totaling $40,000.