Group Photo of PR/HYLI students at a Leadership Workshop
The Mission: Empowerment and Engagement of Hispanic Youth in the Legislative Process
- The late Assemblyman Angelo Del Toro created the Institute for high school students of Hispanic descent, in collaboration with the Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages, before his passing.
- This program has been in existence for more than 30 years, through continued support from the NYS Assembly & Senate Puerto Rican / Hispanic Task Force, the annual SOMOS Conference, in conjunction with the NYS Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages, and New York City Public Schools.
- Student Delegates participating in this program are invited each year to deliver arguments in favor or against current bills in legislative process on the Assembly Floor of the New York State Capitol Building.
- Graduating Senior PR/HYLI Delegates also have the opportunity to earn scholarships for their postsecondary studies, presented on behalf of the SOMOS, Inc. To date, SOMOS, Inc. has provided $626,960 of scholarship money to students.
PR/HYLI Students at a Mock Assembly
Goals of the Institute – Students participating in this program will:
- Gain an understanding of the New York State legislative process by participating in and researching legislative proposals
- Develop and expand their leadership skills and ability to think critically
- Gain an understanding of responsible citizenship and civic engagement
- Further dialogues with community leaders concerning issues that affect Hispanic youth and communities
PR/HYLI Students at a Recognition Dinner with their SOMOS Scholarships
PR/HYLI transcends from College into our Communities
“I am a senior at Tech Valley High School. PRHYLI has a special place in my heart. I can develop my skills in communication and debate. It is a place for me to connect with students with similar backgrounds and connect with my ancestors/heritage. Every day in PRHYLI, I feel like I am welcomed and supported. Joining PRHYLI was the best decision I could’ve made.”
– Amanda Thrasher, Senior at Tech Valley High, Capital District Delegation
For additional information regarding the Angelo Del Toro Puerto Rican Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute, please contact Dr. Gladys I. Cruz, District Superintendent, Questar III BOCES at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fact Sheet Quick Look: