The mission: Involvement of Hispanic/Latino Youth in the Political Process
- Late Assemblyman Ángelo Del Toro in collaboration with the Office of Bilingual Education created the Institute for high school students of Hispanic/Latino decent.
- The Ángelo Del Toro Puerto Rican/Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute is a collaboration with the NYS Assembly/Senate Puerto Rican/Hispanic Task Force in conjunction with the annual SOMOS conference, Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages, and the New York State City Board of Education.
- The Angelo Del Toro takes place every year during the SOMOS conference in Albany.
- The program has been in existence for 30 years.
Goals of the Institute
- Gain an understanding of the NYS legislative process by participating in research and the development of legislative proposals.
- Develop leadership skills.
- Gain an understanding of responsible citizenship.
- Create opportunities for interaction with positive role models such as elected officials and other adult professionals.
- Promote a dialogue between youth and community leaders concerning issues that affect Hispanic/Latino Youth and their communities
Phases of The Angelo Del Toro Puerto Rican Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute
Phase I – Training in regional delegations
Phase II – Participation in the 3-day PR/HYLI
- Institute opening
- Keynote speaker
- Team building activities
- Student presentations
- Cultural networking event
- Mock Assembly
- Student Recognition and Scholarship Dinner
- Workshops on different themes
- Visit to legislators by select delegations
- Closure of Institute
Phase III – Extension and refinement of Leadership Skills
Phase IV – Visit to Washington
- Outstanding students of the year for each delegation visit Washington, DC to gain an understanding of the federal government.
Since the inception of the Institute
- Approximately 6,650 students of Hispanic/Latino descent have participated in the Institute – additional students participated in the local delegation trainings.
- In partnership with SOMOS, seniors entering colleges/universities have received $513,860 in scholarships.
- 1991-2012 SOMOS awarded 20 scholarships of $500 each, totaling $220,000
- 2013 SOMOS awarded 30 scholarships ranging from $500 – $1,000 each, totaling $20,000.
- 2014 SOMOS awarded 38 scholarships ranging from $750 – $1,500 each, totaling $36,000.
- 2015 SOMOS awarded 37 scholarships ranging from $640 – $2,500 each, totaling $37,960.
- 2016 SOMOS awarded 33 scholarships ranging from $720 – $3,000 each, totaling $40,000.
- 2017 SOMOS awarded 31 scholarships ranging from $1,000 – $3,000 each, totaling $40,000.
- 2018 SOMOS awarded 39 scholarships of $550 – $3,000 each, totaling $43,000.
- 2019 SOMOS awarded 30 scholarships of $800 – $3,000 each, totaling $40,000.
- 2020 SOMOS awarded 37 scholarships of $770 – $3,080 each, totaling $50,000.
PR/HYLI transcends from College into our Communities
“PRHYLI is about family, culture, and embracing your heritage. The administrators of this program are so friendly and welcoming, and the students are very smart and will bring so much good into the world, especially for the Latino community. PRHYLI will always be a part of my life and my experience. Thank you PRHYLI!!!”
– Natalia Quiñónes, Amsterdam High School, Senior 2020
For additional information regarding the Angelo Del Toro Puerto Rican Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute, please contact PR/HYLI State Coordinator, Diana Vazquez at (518) 479-6806 or email@example.com or Dr. Gladys I. Cruz, District Superintendent, Questar III BOCES at firstname.lastname@example.org.