The mission: Involvement of Hispanic/Latino Youth in the Political Process
- Late Assemblyman Ángelo Del Toro in collaboration with the Office of Bilingual Education created the Institute for high school students of Hispanic/Latino decent.
- The Ángelo Del Toro Puerto Rican/Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute is a collaboration with the NYS Assembly/Senate Puerto Rican/Hispanic Task Force in conjunction with the annual SOMOS conference, Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages, and the New York City Department of Education.
- The Angelo Del Toro takes place every year during the SOMOS conference in Albany.
- The program has been in existence for 30 years.
Goals of the Institute
- Gain an understanding of the NYS legislative process by participating in research and the development of legislative proposals.
- Develop leadership skills.
- Gain an understanding of responsible citizenship.
- Create opportunities for interaction with positive role models such as elected officials and other adult professionals.
- Promote a dialogue between youth and community leaders concerning issues that affect Hispanic/Latino youth and their communities.
Phases of The Angelo Del Toro Puerto Rican Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute
Phase I – Training in regional delegations
Phase II – Institute
- Institute opening
- Keynote speaker
- Team building activities
- Student presentations
- Cultural networking event
- Mock Assembly
- Student Recognition and Scholarship Dinner
- Workshops on different themes
- Visit to legislators by select delegations
- Closure of Institute
Phase III – Extension and refinement of Leadership Skills
Phase IV – Visit to Washington
- Outstanding students of the year for each delegation visit Washington, DC to gain an understanding of the federal government.
Since the inception of the Institute
- Approximately 6,650 students of Hispanic/Latino descent have participated in the Institute – additional students participated in the local delegation trainings.
- In partnership with SOMOS, seniors entering colleges/universities have received over half a million dollars in scholarships.
- 1991-2012 SOMOS awarded 20 scholarships of $500 each, totaling $120,000 during this period.
- 2013 SOMOS awarded 30 scholarships ranging from $500 – $1,000 each, totaling $20,000.
- 2014 SOMOS awarded 38 scholarships ranging from $750 – $1,500 each, totaling $36,000.
- 2015 SOMOS awarded 37 scholarships ranging from $640 – $2,500 each, totaling $37,960.
- 2016 SOMOS awarded 33 scholarships ranging from $720 – $3,000 each, totaling $40,000.
- 2017 SOMOS awarded 31 scholarships ranging from $1,000 – $3,000 each, totaling $40,000.
- 2018 SOMOS awarded 39 scholarships of $550 – $3,000 each, totaling $43,000.
- 2019 SOMOS awarded 30 scholarships of $800 – $3,000 each, totaling $40,000.
- 2020 SOMOS awarded 37 scholarships of $770 – $3,080 each, totaling $50,000.
- 2021 SOMOS awarded 20 scholarships of $500 each, totaling $10,000.
- Note: Grand Total of SOMOS, Inc. Scholarships – $436,960
PR/HYLI transcends from College into our Communities
“I am a senior at Tech Valley High School. PRHYLI has a special place in my heart. I can develop my skills in communication and debate. It is a place for me to connect with students with similar backgrounds and connect with my ancestors/heritage. Every day in PRHYLI, I feel like I am welcomed and supported. Joining PRHYLI was the best decision I could’ve made.”
– Amanda Thrasher, Senior at Tech Valley High, Capital District Delegation
For additional information regarding the Angelo Del Toro Puerto Rican Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute, please contact PR/HYLI State Coordinator, Diana Vazquez at (518) 479-6806, email@example.com or Dr. Gladys I. Cruz, District Superintendent, Questar III BOCES at firstname.lastname@example.org.